||HM Customs and Excise, port of South Shields
||After lengthy agitation, Shields was recognised as a customs port, separate from Newcastle, in 1848. The port of Shields as it was known, comprised both North and South Shields as well as several smaller ports along the Northumberland coast, including Blyth, Newbiggin, Amble and Cullercoats. In 1859 South Shields was separated off as a distinct customs port.
For registrations before April 1848 see EX.NC
For registrations April 1848 - 1858 see EX.NS
For registrations after 1858 see EX.SS below
||1859 - 1901
||Shipping registers are microfilmed. Use microfilm copies in preference to original volumes.