||HM Customs and Excise, Port of North Shields
After lengthy agitation, Shields was recognised as a district customs port, separate from Newcastle, in 1848.
The port of Shields as it was known, comprised both North and South Shields and smaller ports along the Northumberland coast, such as Blyth. In 1859 South Shields was separated off as a distinct customs port and in October 1865, Blyth was also removed.
However, North Shields seemed to continue to oversee registration of fishing vessels at Northumberland ports, such as Newbiggin, Blyth, Amble and Cullercoats.
||Scope and Content
EX.NS/1/1-23 Registers of shipping 1848-1931 (23 volumes) gives details of vessel: dimensions, master, owner, changes of ownership etc.
EX.NS/2/1-10 Transactions books, commencing 1855-1891 (10 volumes)
EX.NS/3/1-5 Registers of fishing boats 1869-1949 (5 volumes)
EX.NS/4/1-4 Statistical returns re fishing vessels, detailing vessels examined, numbers of men and boys employed1889-1892 (3 files, 1 paper)
EX.NS/5 Particulars of registration and cancellations of fishing boats 1892 (1 file)
EX.NS/6/1-5 Memorandum to Chief Coastguards mainly regarding number of men and boys employed in fishing January 1893 (5 papers)
EX.NS/7 Index of ships registered at North Shields c.1917-1947 (1 8volume)
For registrations prior to 1848 see EX.NC.
(See EX.SS), for records of Blyth after 1865, see Northumberland Record Office