Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums

Contact us


Click the RefNo to see other items in this collection

Level Collection
RefNo C.FE9
Title Windy Nook Methodist Church
AdminHistory The origins of this former Methodist New Connexion society date back to the 1840s. A new chapel was opened in 1865, located on Stone Street. In 1909 a vestry and lobby were added to the chapel. In 1942 the society amalgamated with the former Primitive Methodist Church at Albion Street, Windy Nook (TWAM ref. C.FE8) to become Windy Nook Methodist Church. Services were held in the Stone Street premises, while the Albion Street premises continued in use as a Sunday School until 1963. By the 1960s it had become clear that new premises were required and in 1976 a new church was opened beside the old chapel.

The society originally belonged to Gateshead Methodist New Connexion Circuit (TWAM ref. MC.GA9). In 1907 the Methodist New Connexion, the United Methodist Free Church and the Bible Christians joined together to form the United Methodist Church and the society joined the Whitehall Road United Methodist Circuit (TWAM ref. MC.GA11). In 1935 the Gateshead Methodist circuits were re-organised and the church joined the new Gateshead East Methodist Circuit (TWAM ref. MC.GA1). In 1971 Gateshead East Circuit combined with Jarrow Circuit to form Gateshead and Jarrow Methodist Circuit (TWAM ref. MC.JA1).
Date 1871 - 2003

Powered by DServe