Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums

Contact us


Click the RefNo to see other items in this collection

Level CollectionSummary
RefNo DT.GDT
Title Gateshead and District Tramways Company
AdminHistory The Gateshead and District Tramways Act 1880 provided for the formation of the Gateshead and District Tramways Company and the construction of four tram lines, which were not proceeded with following powers awarded to the South Shields Corporation and the Jarrow and Hebburn District Tramways that conflicted. Further Acts were passed in 1882 and 1883 and services commenced in October 1883. In 1897 the British Electric Traction Co. Ltd obtained a controlling interest and in 1901 the original steam trams were converted to electric power and the system extended. In 1922 tramlines were laid on the High Level Bridge enabling the Gateshead trams to travel into Newcastle and vice versa. The success of these services contributed to the need for the new Tyne Bridge. In 1950 the company changed its name to the Gateshead and District Omnibus Company and the last tram ran in 1951, also the last privately owned tram service in England.
Date 1948-1951
Description This collection has not yet been catalogued. it is sometimes possible to provide access to uncatalogued material. Please enquire for more information.
Acc 3037
Sunderland Road Depot, drivers' signing on books, 1948-1951. (2 volumes).
Posters and photograph enclosed in above. (2 papers, 1 photograph)
Acc 3064
Correspondence, Parliamentary Bills, Petitions 1897-1938; 1944
RelatedMaterial George S Hearse "The Tramways of Gateshead" 1965

Powered by DServe