Mr & Mrs A of Monkseaton have two cabinets in their possession purportedly from the MAURETANIA. Five cabinets were bought at auction in the 1970s for a few shillings and the two illustrated survive. Unfortunately the backs have been replaced with modern hardboard so the all important numbers on the backs have been lost. One of the doors has also been fitted upside down and the two cabinets have been joined together. Even in this distressed condition the quality of the carving is evident.
Mr & Mrs A also have three teak benches formerly used outside a local public house. These were made by Hughes Bolckow & Co Ltd of Blyth who specialised in buying hardwoods from other shipbreakers to manufacture a range of furniture.
After 1935 they made a range of garden furniture called MAURETANIA from teak taken from the ship and marked with the name. This has led many people to believe they have items from the MAURETANIA when in fact they have an item made from timber used on the vessel.
All Hughes Bolckow furniture of this type carried a plate and the following image shows the metal label as fitted to the three teak benches mentioned above.